Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Mountains

While Ceekay was here we visited many places and along with that..... comes eating at many different places.  lol    Here we are eating at what once was the stables at the Biltmore Estate. Yes, the horses were really kept here.   I hope all has been washed down and sanitized. You can see at the end of the booth is the container that they kept water in and to the right behind the black bars they kept the feed for the horses.

They have turned it into a very quaint restaurant with excellent food.




  We should have taken this pic before we dug in. lol



We had chocolate bread pudding with coffee ice cream. Sooooooo good!   I've had a lot of bread puddings but not made with chocolate.  I gained a few pounds while she was visiting. lol


We celebrated Easter while she was here, along with our daughter and grandchildren.


Sarah's husband could not join us.   He  is a policeman and  was on duty---serving and protecting!


Sarah made some delicious cake pops for us!   They are so moist!






The day after Easter we left for the mountains. Ceekay had not been to Boone & Blowing Rock, NC. They have beautiful little towns.

Ceekay is standing on a friend of mine's deck overlooking the mountains and valley below.


On the ride down to the oldest operating store in the country we passed this gentlemen out for an afternoon drive.   A man and his dog.   He told us life, IS GOOD!  Beautiful horses!


Some of the scenery on the drive.  Cute little log houses.









The Mast General Store is a very old country store with a wide variety of things for sale.



I can only imagine how many people have sat by the old pot bellied stove, played checkers and shopped in this quaint store.


They have the original display cases, the old post office and this old coke machine that works like a charm.


It reminds me of an old store from my past in Oak Hill, WV.
Hubby's helping himself to a coke.



Are you still with me? Sorry, I know this was long. I 'll share more another time.


I hope you're having a great week! Thanks for taking the time to visit. I love hearing from you!

7 comments:

My Cozy Casita said...

WE been there on vacation to Biltmore State Home, 3 times on
Christmas 2009, Spring 2007, Somer
2006 beautiful place to visited, we been Mast Store to the one in Asheville,
We love NC
Look like you have a nice time w/your family.
XOX
Isora

Happy@Home said...

I loved reading about the good times you had with your friend, Ceekay. I have been to all the places you talked about and feel so blessed to have wonderful places like that close enough to visit.
I know Ceekay mentioned that you all went to the Billy Graham Library too. I haven't been there yet, but have it on my list :).
You have the gift for hospitality.

Sweet Meanderings said...

What wonderful pictures! I really liked that country store. I remember getting cokes out of a cooler just like that when I was a child. I just put Ceekay on a plane home this afternoon. We'll both have to rest up after a week of shopping, sightseeing and traveling!
Candy

My Cozy Casita said...

My house is in Miami, Florida, I've been living in Southern California for a year, my husband was relocated here. I have to come back home since my daughther is going to UM. I'm planning to be between California and Miami. I'm moving back to Miami May 27th.
California is beautiful the climate is nice and yes we love to travel a lot.
XO
Isora

Dawn said...

What a fun trip you had - the restaurant looks like such fun. And the old country store - love it.

My mom used to make chocolate bread pudding - but nothing that fancy!

Lois Christensen said...

I love all the pictures!! Looks like you had a great time. Love the booth in the horse stable! Hope you had a nice Mother's Day!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Well I could go for some of the beignets and cold coke right now! But I am busy washing clothes. Mercy, I might be done by tomorrow! Had such a great time, but it is true, there is no place like home!!