Monday, August 25, 2008

A Few More things of Charleston

Charleston is known for it's ironwork gates. They are very popular and many houses have them at their entrances. They are photographed and painted quite often and are for sale at shops and in the market place. These are two prints that I purchased and framed. They sit on a table in our bedroom. I'm sorry they are not clearer. I should have taken them out of their frames, perhaps.





Jewelry with the different designs of the gates are also very in. Here is one that my DH bought for me. It is a design of a gate somewhere in Charleston. The chain is a replica of pieces of rice.
Charleston was known for their rice in the late 1600's. They were a major supplier of rice to the colonies. The history of the gates and rice are below the picture. I scanned them and but the quality is not the best.

Ceekay , on the left, was with me on this trip. We are enjoying the beautiful gardens in the pic below. She also surprised me with a sweet grass basket that a lady had just made.


It is sweet, don't you think?
We went to the Naval Shipyard which is housing the Civil War submarine, The Hunley. The men loved seeing them work on the sub. They are still getting artifacts out of the hull.
Below is a replica of the coin Lt. Dixon had in his pocket that he carried for good luck.
It was a very small space that nine men had to sit and work in. There is many more items that were on display that we could not photograph.


It's a fun city to visit if you get the chance.

Have a great week. See ya soon.

I want to also thank Carlotte at http://athomeinscottsdale.blogspot.com for giving me these precious awards. You need to visit her wonderful blog. She actually has two now. Thank you Charlotte!

12 comments:

Nancy Rosalina said...

congrats on your award! I have always wanted to take a trip to charleston..been to myrtle beach toooo many times to count and been to savannah several times too....but never charleston. someday, i will go...after my son is out of college...lol:) blessings, to you Nancy

Anonymous said...

Good morning! I too want to congratulate you on your awards! I love the little pictures from Charleston! I want to go there someday!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Decor To Adore said...

I had such a wonderful time when I went to Charleston. Thank you for bringing back such great memories.

Thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog recently. It really touched my heart and meant so much.

Come on over and celebrate life on my blog!

{oc cottage} said...

Sounds like a great trip!!M ^..^

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Congrads on your award!! You deserve it. Your blog is wonderful. I have been to Charleston. I feel in love with it. I love the south. I should have been a southern belle. My home is filled with metal/iron works. I never thought about it until just now. Maybe that's why I chose it for home decor. I love gardens/secret gardens. I love moss hanging from the live oak trees. Savannah is my favorite city. I love porches!! And big rocking chairs. I could go on & on!! Thanks for sharing!!
Hugs, Terrie

Charlotte said...

Charleston looks like a good place to visit. Maybe someday. It is a long way from Arizona though. I enjoyed the pictures of the Boone Hall Plantation in your last post as well. Thank you for your nice comments about me. I'm glad you accepted the awards. You certainly deserve them.
Hugs,
Charlotte

Happy@Home said...

Congratulations on your awards.

What a nice picture of you and Ceekay. I visit her blog too.

Enjoyed your information on Charleston.

Justabeachkat said...

Congratlations on your awards. Isn't Charlotte a sweetie pie?!!

You're sure making me want to go to Charleston.

Hugs!
Kat

The Berry's Patch said...

Where did you get those frames? They are beautiful! Thanks for sharing your Charleston trip. I've never been there. :-)

Kathy said...

Love your gate prints!
Kathy

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I haven't seen the "gate jewelry," how neat!! I'll have to look for those next time we go to Charleston.

Katherine

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

What interesting keepsakes! It's so neat that they all have stories.