Monday, December 20, 2010

More Santas

Thanks so much for all your sweet comments on the post about the Santas I painted. It was fun to do them.


I painted for 12 years and did craft shows from here to Washington DC to help my girls through college and pay for their weddings. I look back and think-- WHEW! I painted my little fingers off from morning till night to be ready for the next weekend show. I did at least one show a month and sometimes more. You had to have a lot of stock to carry you through two or three day shows.

Here are a few more of the Santas I painted.

This one is tall and made on a plain wood board that is about 1 " thick. The design in the Santa coat is rolled on with a special mallet with paint on it. He has a button nose made of putty.

This one is a bit shorter but done with the same technique.



This little guy opens up and has a message inside.






This one is on a half moon piece of wood that allows him to rock back and forth.


This Santa is peeking out of JOY to say Ho Ho Ho to you!



The next Santas are ones I've bought through the years and bring out every Christmas.

This one greets the visitors when they come through the front door at the top of stairs on the landing.




A fiber optic Santa sits on the staircase with some presents.




I bring out an angel that I painted and hang her in the dining room every year.

I glued fabric on the wood cut out, for her dress.
Then I painted the gold trim, hem design, shoes, and of course, her face, hair, wings and horn are painted.


I hope you enjoyed your visit today. I appreciate each of you taking time out of your busy schedule.

Be safe with your last minute shopping and things on your to do list! Till next time!

9 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Those Santas are so cute. They are a lot like the little triple one I bought somewhere many years ago. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I remember those santas! And that angel is gorgeous.

Happy@Home said...

Wow, you are so talented. When I lived in Michigan I went to a lot of art/craft shows and would have probably been one of your customers. Since moving here I have yet to find a good show. Of course, I ADORE your blue Santa. The one that opens with a message is so special, the JOY one is adorable and the angel is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing them. Enjoyed the story to go along with them too.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I'm just getting around to doing my replies, we were gone all weekend!!

I enjoyed seeing your paintings soooo much, thanks for sharing them with us! I hope you will start painting again!

I have just posted more of my decorations, come see!

Katherine

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

You really do great work!
And your home is so festive and so pretty!
I enjoyed the pics so very much!
Merry Christmas to you!
Cindy

Sue said...

Wow! More cool Santa figures. Love the one near the fireplace with his button nose. And your angel is so, so pretty! Everything in the house is festive and pretty. Enjoy your family for the holidays and have a Merry Christmas! ♥ Sue

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Rose,
Love your painted Santas. Each and everyone so darling. Love the one that opens too. You paint beautiful and are so very talented my friend.
The angel is gorgeous and the santa on the steps in gold, is exactly like one I have collected. The ornament boxes on the steps in a wonderful touch! You know I love everything you create!

I remember the days of painting and doing shows. I did so many in the 80's and 90's, it was crazy. But I loved every minute of it and I know you did too. When you look back at the reward and accomplishment you made happen with the extra $$$'s it is all worth it.
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and many blessings in the new year.
Love to you and hugs from Texas,
Celestina Marie

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

Your Santas are beautiful!!You are truly and artist!

Bucket-o-Hank said...

Thannks for sharing this